Middle East Monitor

@middleeastmonitor

Bringing fair & accurate coverage of the Middle East to the world.
Followers
540k
Following
621
Account Insight
Score
50.33%
Index
Health Rate
%
Users Ratio
870:1
Weeks posts
Two Palestinians were killed and four others wounded by Israeli gunfire in the Gaza Strip on Monday, in the latest violation of an ongoing ceasefire agreement, medical sources said, Anadolu reports. The sources said the body of a Palestinian man and two injured people arrived at Nasser Medical Complex, west of Khan Younis in southern Gaza, after an Israeli strike near the Bani Suheila roundabout in the city. Witnesses said an Israeli drone shelled a group of civilians near Bani Suheila, causing the casualties. A Palestinian child also breathed his last from injuries sustained from a drone strike in Bani Suheila on Thursday. Two young Palestinians were also injured, including one critically, in Israeli shelling of the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza. The Israeli army has continued its attacks in Gaza despite the ceasefire agreement in place since Oct. 10, 2025. According to Gaza’s Health Ministry, at least 877 Palestinians have been killed and 2,602 others injured since the truce. The agreement was reached after two years of Israel’s genocidal war, which has caused widespread destruction that affected 90% of civilian infrastructure. Link in bio
77 4
42 minutes ago
A nationwide general strike took place in Italy on Monday in protest against rearmament policies and in support of Palestinians in Gaza, Anadolu reports. The strike was organized following a call from the USB union and other civil society groups under the slogan "We block everything." Participants opposed rising living costs, increased military spending, and what they described as government priorities favoring armament over healthcare and education. They also expressed opposition to Israel's attacks in Gaza and voiced support for the "Global Sumud Flotilla," a civilian aid initiative attempting to reach the territory. Demonstrations were held in multiple cities, including Rome, where protesters gathered at Piazza Cinquecento. Many displayed Palestinian flags and demanded that the Italian government reduce or end what they called complicity with Israel. Slogans calling for a "Free Palestine" were repeatedly heard during the protests. Transport disruptions were reported across the country. In Rome, one metro line was suspended, while in Naples, service on a metro line was halted. In Milan, some suburban rail services were also affected, and port workers in Livorno carried out industrial action. The protests also highlighted solidarity with activists involved in the Sumud Flotilla. A Palestinian-origin Spanish activist, Saif Abukeshek, previously detained during a maritime incident involving Israeli forces, attended the Rome rally. The Israeli army on Monday attacked and intercepted the Gaza-bound Global Sumud humanitarian flotilla in international waters and detained around 100 activists as the mission sought to break Israel’s blockade on the Palestinian enclave. Speaking to Anadolu, he described the recent interceptions of flotilla vessels in international waters as violations of international law and linked them to broader criticism of Italy's arms trade policies. Another protester, Andrea Ziccaro, said the strike was aimed at opposing what he called a "war economy," arguing that prioritizing military spending leads to neglect of social services like health and education. link in bio
388 3
2 hours ago
Irish President Catherine Connolly’s sister is among the Gaza-bound Global Sumud flotilla activists detained by Israeli forces, according to media reports Monday. Margaret Connolly was among at least six Irish citizens aboard the aid flotilla detained by Israel, the Irish Independent reported, citing activists. According to the Global Sumud Flotilla, 10 boats from a 60-vessel convoy were intercepted in international waters and boarded by Israeli forces earlier Monday. Organizers said the interception took place around 70 nautical miles off the island of Cyprus, with at least six of the 15 Irish participants detained. The flotilla released videos from Connolly and five other activists that appeared to have been recorded before the interception. “If you are watching this video, it means I have been kidnapped from my boat in the flotilla by the Israeli occupying forces, and I’m now being held illegally in an Israeli prison,” Connolly said in the video. “I am so proud to be taking part in this flotilla – it is the largest to date,” she added. The Israeli army on Monday attacked and intercepted the Gaza-bound Global Sumud humanitarian flotilla in international waters and detained around 100 activists as the mission sought to break Israel’s blockade on the Palestinian enclave. The flotilla, consisting of more than 50 boats, set sail Thursday from the Turkish Mediterranean district of Marmaris in a renewed attempt to break the Israeli blockade imposed on Gaza since 2007. Organizers said the mission included 426 participants, among them 96 Turkish activists and participants from 39 other countries, including Germany, the US, Argentina, Australia, Bahrain, Brazil, Algeria, Indonesia, Morocco, France, South Africa, the UK, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Canada, Egypt, Pakistan, Tunisia, Oman and New Zealand. On April 29, Israeli forces also attacked the Global Sumud aid flotilla off the coast of the Greek island of Crete. Link in bio
901 16
2 hours ago
The United Arab Emirates paid more than $6 million to a secretive US reputation management firm tied to whitewashing a client’s link to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, to manipulate Google search results and suppress damaging reporting about its ambassador to Washington, Yousef Al-Otaiba, according to a New York Times investigation. The revelation appears in a wider investigation into Terakeet, a Syracuse-based firm that specialises in search engine optimisation and online reputation management for powerful clients facing public scrutiny. While the New York Times investigation focuses mainly on Terakeet’s failed attempt to repair the reputation of Goldman Sachs general counsel and supporter of Israel, Kathryn Ruemmler, over her links to Epstein, one of its most striking revelations concerns the firm’s work for the UAE and its long-serving ambassador in Washington, Yousef Al-Otaiba. An advocate of Israel, Ruemmler’s Washington legal career saw her make the case for legislation to combat the anti-BDS (Boycott Divestment and Sanctions) campaign. In 2019, she and former US solicitor general Paul Clement were cited as having written legal opinions arguing that legislation linked to President Donald Trump executive order on anti-Semitism did not violate the First Amendment, even though critics warned that such measures could be used to suppress campus criticism of Israel and support for BDS. Terakeet’s work for the UAE is said to have begun in July 2019 and continues to this day. Much of its formal work focused on promoting tourism in the Emirates. However, former employees told the paper that Al-Otaiba was concerned about a 2017 article published by The Intercept, written by Ryan Grim, now co-founder of Drop Site News, which reported that the ambassador had once had ties to sex workers and traffickers. Rather than challenge the report directly, Terakeet allegedly worked to bury it. Link in bio
532 27
3 hours ago
A report by Israeli newspaper Maariv examined operations carried out by the Lebanese group Hezbollah against Israeli forces using drones, particularly an attack near Rosh Hanikra. Hezbollah published footage of a drone strike targeting the Rosh Hanikra tourist site at the weekend, which wounded four Israelis, one of them critically. The newspaper said Hezbollah was aware that fibre-optic-guided drones represented a weak point in the Israeli air defence systems. Read more via the link in bio🔗
345 18
4 hours ago
Israeli forces demolished a building under construction in al-Walaja town west of Bethlehem in occupied West Bank, local officials said on Sunday. Head of al-Walaja Village Council Khidr al-Araj said Israeli forces raided area with military vehicles and heavy machinery before carrying out demolition. According to local officials, Israeli authorities claimed structure had been built without permit. Demolitions of Palestinian homes and structures in occupied West Bank are frequently carried out by Israeli authorities citing lack of building permits, which Palestinians say are difficult to obtain.
149 12
5 hours ago
The Republican primary race to unseat US Representative and Israel critic Thomas Massie has become the most expensive House primary in history, with pro-Israel groups pouring millions of dollars into the contest. The election is being seen as a test case intended to warn lawmakers that criticism of Israel can cost them their seat. According to Politico, ad spending in the Kentucky race has topped $32 million, surpassing previous House primary records. The American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), its super PAC United Democracy Project and the Republican Jewish Coalition Victory Fund have spent more than $9 million in a bid to defeat Massie, while prominent pro-Israel Republican donors have contributed millions more to a Trump-aligned super PAC supporting his challenger, former Navy SEAL Ed Gallrein. Read more via the link in bio🔗
367 41
5 hours ago
Former Iraqi defence ministry adviser Maen al-Jubouri said Israeli military movements in Iraq’s desert areas were carried out under US cover, accusing Washington of having “deceived” officials in Baghdad. Speaking in a media interview on Sunday, al-Jubouri said the discovery of a second alleged Israeli base in Iraq was “less shocking” than the discovery of the first and did not come as a major surprise. Read more via the link in bio🔗
300 11
5 hours ago
The presence of Egyptian forces in the UAE, against the backdrop of the US and Israeli-led war on Iran, raises serious questions among the Egyptian public about the missions and objectives, the gains and losses, and the potential dangers of involvement in a war that Egyptians say has nothing to do with them. The suspicion and controversy may be exacerbated by the revelation that Egypt sent advanced air-defence systems and their operators to the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait during the war, according to The Wall Street Journal. #Opinion by Mahmoud Hassan Read full article via the link in bio
121 5
5 hours ago
Bahrain sentenced a man to life imprisonment after convicting him of espionage and collaboration with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and Hezbollah, according to Bahraini judicial authorities. The head of Bahrain’s Terrorism Crimes Prosecution said the High Criminal Court of Bahrain found the defendant guilty of collecting and transferring sensitive information to a foreign state with the intent of carrying out hostile and terrorist acts against the kingdom. Read more via the link in bio🔗
48 3
6 hours ago
Official Israeli data revealed that the Israeli economy contracted by 3.3 percent year-on-year during the first quarter of 2026, impacted by the repercussions of the ongoing war with Iran. According to a report published Sunday by the Israeli economic website Globes, the Israeli Central Bureau of Statistics stated that the Israeli economy experienced a 3.3 percent annual contraction during the first quarter of this year. Read more via the link in bio🔗
120 14
6 hours ago
The Jerusalem Governorate called for urgent international intervention after Israeli authorities approved a plan to seize Palestinian properties in the Bab al-Silsila area near the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound. In a statement issued on Sunday, the governorate described the move as a “dangerous colonial escalation” aimed at displacing Palestinian residents and tightening Israeli control over areas surrounding Al-Aqsa Mosque in the occupied Old City of Jerusalem. Read more via the link in bio🔗
159 7
6 hours ago