TRAGEDY STRIKES, COMMUNITY MOURNS: Relatives are mourning the death of Mario Brown, a father of three (3) who was brutally shot and killed on Sunday morning through Cooperâs Terrace off Kemp Road, just minutes away from his familyâs residence.
Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) videos circulating on social media purportedly capture the moment Brown was gunned down while at a residence conversing with individuals.
The video shows gunmen exiting a vehicle and subsequently opened firing on the victim.
Brownâs sister, 22-year-old Siminique Simmons asserted âI never said my brothers are saints, I never said my brothers donât do what they have to do to get where they is, but in order to love somebody, you gotta know somebody.â
Simmons is defending her brotherâs legacy amid controversy about his reputation given that he was reportedly entangled in a web of legal troubles.
It is alleged that he was a leader in the âCrack Nationâ gang - a criminal organization reportedly based in the Kemp Road community.
However, police press liaison officer Chief Superintendent Sheria King was unable to confirm or deny those allegations.
According to the courts, Brown was also accused of the shooting murder of Jamaal Kemp at Potterâs Cay Dock on February 10, 2019.
Petra Turnquest, who identified herself as Brownâs cousin, described the victim as a âmotivator - a person who want(s) to see everybody up.â
She insisted that Brown was âkeeping the peaceâ in the Kemp Road community.
Both relatives mustered the strength to speak with reporters while Brownâs mother, Wendy Brown, cried uncontrollably.
The grieving mother grappled with a similar tragedy in April 2021, when Brownâs brother, Denario Saunders was among six (6) individuals who were victims of a mass deadly shooting in Jerome Avenue.
Brownâs death marks the fourth murder to be recorded since the start of the year.
Investigations into this incident are ongoing.
COURT: Former Head of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) Michael Johnson and a prominent defense attorney are expected to be arraigned before the South Street Magistrate Court Complex at 2:00PM, Tuesday.
According to court clerks, three (3) other men, who are believed to be police officers, are also expected to be charged alongside Johnson and the attorney in question.
The individuals are being hauled before the court in connection with a police probe that was launched into voicenotes that purportedly captured conversations about a financial quid-pro quo arrangement between Johnson, the implicated attorney and an alleged gang leader who was murdered in May, 2024.
Former Police Commissioner Clayton Fernander told reporters on January 1st that the investigation âgoes beyond the voicenotes.â
He made those comments days after he told reporters that authorities met their end-of-year timeline to wrap up the investigation into Johnson that was being led by the Security and Intelligence Branch of the police force.
Fernander also disclosed to reporters that the investigation was handed over to Director of Public Prosecutions Cordell Frazier who would make her recommendations as to whether or not charges would be levied against the men.
A pending court arraignment suggests that the DPP recommended for charges to be levied, however, it remains unclear what charges the men will be arraigned on.
Our @_jnetienne is on the story.
WE TRIED TO HELP: Social Services Minister Myles Laroda has refuted claims by relatives of 12-year-old Adriel Moxey that ministry officials failed to assist her family before the young girlâs brutal death last week, though he acknowledged that the ministry could have done more.
Adriel, a 7th grader, was found dead and partially naked in bushes near her Faith Avenue South home last Wednesday, sending shockwaves through the community.
On the day of the discovery, Adrielâs mother, Sasha Moxey, and another relative, Crystal Chipman, publicly stated that âthe village failed Adriel,â alleging that ministry officials ignored pleas for support dating back to 2022.
In a press conference on Monday, Minister Laroda addressed the allegations, revealing that the ministry had attempted to intervene but was ultimately unsuccessful. He referenced a specific case from July 2022, admitting that âit is fair to say that the department did not go as far as we could have.â
Laroda conceded that the ministryâs efforts fell short, but firmly denied accusations of complete inaction, stating, âItâs fair to say that we could have done more, but to say that the department did not do anything is false.â
Investigations into the circumstances surrounding Adrielâs tragic death are ongoing.
WHEREâS THE VILLAGE: Relatives of 12-year-old Adriel Moxey who was found dead by police in bushes off Faith Avenue on Wednesday expressed disappointment with widespread criticisms against the family, insisting that they did their best to protect the slain juvenile.
Sasha Moxey, Adrielâs mother told reporters âEvery child needs a village. Where was my village when I needed the village for my child?â
Moxey added: âIâm only one person.â
Meanwhile, Moxeyâs cousin, Crystal Chipman argued that Moxey went to the Carmichael Road police station to make complaints after she claimed Moxeyâs former boyfriends were trying to abuse the children.â
Chipman further dismissed criticisms that the family neglected Adriel, adding that she went to the Department of Social Services for assistance after Moxeyâs former partner allegedly âtried to touch the lil girlâ but claimed that department officials never took action.
Chipman further claimed that relatives went to the Ministry of Works to request better lighting in the area of Moxeyâs residence.
Chipman said: âAinât no light in the area. No poles - they never put the pole up. Now this happen and everybody talking.â
MAD DASH AT COURTHOUSE: It was a mad dash at the Nassau Street Magistrate Court Complex Wednesday morning as media attempted to get a glimpse of North Abaco Member of Parliament Kirk Cornish as he was escorted into the courthouse by police.
Cornish will be arraigned in Court #9 on Sexual Assault and Threats of Death charges. A 35 year old woman of SC Bootle Highway, Abaco filed an official complaint against the sitting MP following the alleged incident which she says occurred April 7th, 2023
UPGRADE: Improvements are underway at the Princess Margaret Hospital. According to Prime Minister Philip Davis the additional units will increase bed capacity at the healthcare facility.